Friday, April 19, 2013

Does "Aggressive" equal "Effective"??

For attorneys, does aggressive equal effective?  I was just reading an article entitled "Is An 'Aggressive' Lawyer An 'Effective' Lawyer? (the link is here, and it's a good read-http://benchandbarllc.com/aggressivelawyer/?goback=%2Egde_42966_member_224263744) that posited that exact question.  This topic may wander a bit from the supposedly subject specific nature of a personal injury blog, but since it got me thinking about my personal injury practice in general, I thought I'd add my perspective.

My take on the question: if "aggressive" means shedding the bounds of civility, then I think the answer is no.  

Sure, there are times, especially in the face of a hyper "aggressive" opposing counsel where we need to respond, and the first impulse when mud is flung your way is to fling it back.  But I believe the better approach is  to be "diligent" and thorough (in other words, how I prefer to handle every case) than to "respond in kind."  This practice philosophy is one that I developed from 2 very different sources.  

As a 1st or 2nd year lawyer, I was given a piece of advice from one of my mentors, and one of the truly best trial lawyers I know, and that advise has stuck: "never motivate your opposition."  First impressions with an opposing attorney can set the stage for how you deal with counsel throughout the case.  Hitting the "jerk button" from the get-go can only serve to motivate your opposing counsel. (Don't you feel and extra "edge" to be an opponent who was a jerk?) On the other hand, laying a foundation for respect and cooperation early on can pay dividends sown the road.  Don't get me wrong; once my opponent and I "step through the ropes," it's on, but let's do so with some measure of respect.   

I also hark back to my college days, working part time in the food service industry, when we were instructed to deal with particularly belligerent customers (yes, those do exist in food service), by being "extra nice."  In that scenario, you get one of you results: 

(1) by being nice you diffuse the situation (you never know, maybe this person dealt with a similar irritation and was simply lashing out in kind), where all the upset person needed was a kind word.  Why continue the cycle?; or 

(2) if the "jerk" you're dealing with is just built that way, his/her end game is to make you miserable too.  If you give every outward indication that he/she did not get to you, you've frustrated their purpose.  And, can't you take some satisfaction in that?

Bottom line: when I get ready for and start trial, I want to (and do) kick some tail.  But along the road to getting there, I prefer to act like a gentleman. And I've got the steady blood pressure history to prove it.   

4 comments:

  1. Outstanding blog you guys have preserved there, I totally valuate the effort. great site

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learnt various good stuff right here, and I’m sure everyone will get advantage of it.here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. Read more, follow this link.

    ReplyDelete